Sunday, April 20, 2014

Blog Post #13

This week we were asked to create our own blog post centered around our area of teaching. I am a major in K-6 elementary education. I came up with this idea:

Pick an educational website that you would use in your future classroom. Discuss how you would use this site and how it would be beneficial to your students.

I have a found a website that I can use in my future classroom. Starfall is an educational website that helps students with their phonics, math, and reading. This website also helps students with counting things, learning the alphabet, and spelling unfamiliar words.

I would like to teach anywhere from kindergarden to third grade. In my future classroom I would, of course, use Starfall for reading and math. If I was teaching kindergarden or first grade, I would mainly use Starfall for reading. After a lesson in the classroom, I would then let my students get on the computer to review what we have covered that day. That way my students would be able to practice the sounds of the different letters while reading a sentence as well. This is a great way for my students to learn to read simple words. I think this is a great way to get kids interest into reading at such a young age.

If I was able to get a higher grade, I would use this site for math. It has various ways for students to learn math and count numbers. One thing I am very pleased with, is that this site has a place for math songs. Before teaching a lesson, I would find a song that pertraded to what we were learning and play it. That way, my students would have an insight as to what they are fixing to learn. Then I would, of course, teach my lesson and then on some days let them get on Starfall to reveiw what they have been taught. There are numerous math objectives. It ranges anywhere from learning how to count numbers to multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction to geometry. The math portion could be used for many different levels.

In my opinion, I think Starfall is a great educational learning site for students. I think they would thoroughly enjoy using this site. This website should be used for all K-6 grades, especially the younger ones. The students will be more excited about learning about numbers, how to read, and how to spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment